Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Big Girl Bed.

Last Friday was another big milestone for Shelby! We took the plunge and transitioned Shelby's crib into a toddler bed. Yay!

Ryan & I have been discussing this for several months, but have been putting it off. Shelby loves to sleep and is a great sleeper at that. She sleeps 11 to 12 hours straight. Loves her nap, most of which I have to wake her up from. What a blessing this has been. We sure didn't want to mess that up--for her or us. (I know, a bit selfish on our part, but just being real.)

We know it's time for this change to happen. Since Shelby is potty trained (still using a diaper at night) we need to make this move so she can become more independent at night. Plus, we feel she is just ready.

Levi helped me convert the crib into a the toddler bed just before nap time. Soon after the front was off, both the kids were playing on the bed. Shelby seem to like the freedom of climbing in and out of her bed all by herself. Proud and beaming. Levi showed her how to get in, lay down and sleep. However, Shelby was more interested in wrestling with Levi and jumping on her bed, then playing sleep.

We went through our normal nap time routine. I got her all tucked in, but I could tell she wasn't to sure about the front of the crib being open. I said my nite-nites, kissed her and left. I shut the door behind me as I always do. Things went well for the first twenty minutes. No crying, fusses or big noises. Then, it happened. She just started crying. I used my decoding crying skills and quickly knew this was a different cry. Not her I-don't-want-to-nap-cry. But more cry of insecurity. So, I went in to her room. I tried to calm her and encouage her to lay back down. Every time I neared her bed she would just let out this squeal cry and cling to me. Kind of reminded me of her reaction to good Ole St. Nick at Christmas time.

After a few minutes, I asked her if she wanted to lay in Levi's bed. She said, "yes" and walked to his room. She climbed in his bed and smiled. I covered her up and she happily rested there for the next hour. She never slept, but she was quiet and happy...and stayed in the bed!

After all this I was a little concerned how she would do going to bed at night. Thankfully, after a hard day of playing and no nap she was ready for sleep. She climbed in her own bed and was out before I left the room. She slept all night.

The next morning, she fussed and called for me to let me know she was up. I opened the door. She was sitting on the edge of her bed, feet dangling, just smiling. She ran to me beaming. We quietly celebrated her sleeping in her BIG girl bed!

Nap times have been great and she's loving this new freedom. She loves sharing with people "I sleep in a big girl bed!"

One of my new favorite things is greeting Shelby in the morning when she calls for me. When I open her door, I find her sitting on the edge of her bed. She jumps up, runs to me smiling. She leaps into my arms saying, "I sleep in a big girl bed!" Precious!!

No comments: