Pages

Monday, March 2, 2009

Sleep & Couponing

Not too much going on around here. Our weekend was quiet and laid back. One day were had weather in the lower 80's the next day we were wearing our coats trying to stay warm.--Crazy weather. Although, I'm not complaining...I'd rather do this then be sitting at 100 degrees for weeks.

Last week I blogged about the wonderful milestone Levi mastered: Giving up his pacifier!! Our household has been sleeping so well at night. We are all feel so much more rested and refreshed and happy! Sleep is awesome and its NOT overrated....sorry Common Grounds (is a coffee shop in Waco..its slogan is "Sleep is Overrated")! Sleep is a beautiful thing and I'm thankful we're all experiencing it.


Being a stay-at-home-mom, I feel part of my responsibility is making the most out of our family budget. One area I've really wanted to work on is cutting our grocery bill. I feel I've been very mindful of what we purchase. I try to find sales, use coupons when I have them, only buy what we need instead of the extras.

However, a few weeks ago I started taking notes and practicing how to shop using coupons at my local grocery store. My friend Jaime and my sister have been a huge help during my education process as well as a few blogs (see below). It really is a shift in thinking for me. It's more about stock piling than just making a list and going to the store. I've heard of people getting $100 worth of groceries for $10, but just didn't know how to go about doing it myself. Like I said, I've used coupons before and really tired to purchase items on sale, but nothing like this. Its all about working the sales, clipping the coupons and storing up. Well, I have much to learn, but I'm very excited about my trip to Kroger yesterday. I purchased $77.18 worth of groceries for $38.95. I saved $38.23! That's ALMOST 50%. WOW.

It has taken some time to get going on this. For starters, I'm having to build my coupon stash. Secondly, I'm having to restock our pantry. (When we moved I gave alot of stuff away, so I've had to kinda start over on things.) However, In the short few weeks I've been doing this I have found it to be very rewarding! I love handing over a stack of coupons to the cashier and watching my total drop drop and drop. Its like a game to me now! How much can I save? What can I get for free? How can I best use my coupons and codes?

Here are some of the sites I've found helpful:

Southern Savers


Money Saving Mom

BeCentsAble

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Yay for coupons and sales...so much fun! thanks for the dr.phil tip today.