Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Pacies & Painting

Pacifier Free! Congratulates to Levi Ross for breaking free from his pacifiers! The little one really enjoyed the pacifier. He didn't show interest in his paci until about 3 months old. We only introduced it because I was heading back to work part time and thought it might be helpful. He mainly slept with it and around feeding time. We also used it when we would take him to the nursery at church, to life group or mothers day out. Most the time he didn't need it, but it was there in case. He quickly learned how to locate in his bed at night and that really wasn't a probably until just recently. Around 16 months he began to wake several time at night looking for one. Usually, I had to go help him locate one of the many in his bed. He had a little collection going. I was getting ready to wean him at that time, but we knew we'd be moving soon. I thought it might be good to wait until after the move and all the transitions.

Two weeks ago we agreed to only give Levi his pacifier for sleeping. But from here, I had no official plan as to when we would completely do away with it. Well, Thursday last week, Levi came down with a cold. Along with his cough and runny nose, his taste buds swelled a little on each side of his tongue--making his tongue sore. Eating was a challenge and he found out that he couldn't suck on his pacifier either. Poor guy got so frustrated that first day with all the soreness. I felt so bad for him. He tired a few times to take his pacifier and then as he was going to bed he walked over and handed it to me. The look on his face was priceless....like here I can't use this, so just take it. Thursday night was a little rough, don't know if was because of his cold or not having his pacifier or a combination of both. But I decided, that we're just going to do this once. I expected there to be some tears and restlessness, but Levi has done so well! Since Thursday night he's been paci free!!!

Once we got that first night and Friday's nap behind us things have gone well. He adjusted so quickly!! I happy to report that he's sleeping through the night again....so are mommy and daddy. (YAY!!) I do miss the sweet little sounds he made as he sucked on his pacifier, the way he would roll his shirt up and rub it as he sucked on his pacifier and the little smiles that grew from out behind the pacifier. But it had to be done...We couldn't send him off to college with it, right?! Well, I'm so thankful this process went well. I'm so proud of our little Champ!

Painting! Levi was giving an opportunity to paint at school today. We haven't painted at home yet. I did purchase some finger paint last week, but we have not added painting to our craft day yet. I'm glad he got the chance to at school. His teacher said he eagerly come to the paint table. Here's our little Van Gogh creation!

3 comments:

Rose said...

Big boy! So are you saying that paci weaning him was harder than nursing weaning him?

The Ross' said...

well, i must say that we've been very blessed in the weaning department...Amen! He has weaned smoothly from nursing then the bottle now the pac. He kinda started to wean himself around 9 months. Yes, i think this was the hardest for him, but all in all, not really that bad....so so thankful.

Jaime said...

Congrats! It's nice to be paci free! That's funny that he just gave it to you. haha... i got a little smile when i read that. so very cute!