Shelby has been showing signs of potty readiness for a while now--sitting on the potty, staying dry longer, telling us when her diaper is wet or soiled. Plus, she is all about the big girl pants! She loves to parade around in her little Minnie Mouse panties.
I've tried to be more intentional with potty training over the past couple of weeks, but we've needed more consecutive days at home. Since the kids are on winter break this next week, I decided now was a perfect time to give this a try. Not sure where the week will take us, but we're jumping in!
Today was our first full day of potty training! After breakfast this morning, Shelby chose her Hello Kitty undies to wear. I gave her a big cup of water-down lemonade, one of her favorite drinks, and off we went. It took a while. She had to go but was a little hesitant. Finally, she let herself pee in the big potty. She was relieved, proud, and so excited. We cheered, clapped and swapped high-fives. I quickly handed her a gummy bear for her success. She beamed!
As the day progressed, Shelby really began to catch on. There were a couple puddles on the floor, but all part of the process. After the third or fourth successful potty visit she really connected with the gummy bear reward system. Little one really caught on and started telling me every few minutes she had to pee so she could get a gummy bear! Smart girl! After a while, the gummy hear hype calmed down.
Towards this evening, she was doing really well. Even went to the potty a couple times on her own. She even pulled down her underwear herself and climbed on the potty. We're so proud of her!
She's so cute when going potty too. She starts whispering to you just before she pees. Then, her eyes light up and a huge grin fills her face as she listens to herself peeing. Out of her delight, she whispers, "I peed!" Then, she claps and cheers for herself in her whisper voice! A-dor-able!!
I must add that Levi was a huge encouragement and help today as well. Shelby looks up to him so much. She listens to him with such focus. Levi encouraged her, coached her and celebrated with Shelby throughout the day. I love seeing his heart for her and how much they love each other.
I've tried to be more intentional with potty training over the past couple of weeks, but we've needed more consecutive days at home. Since the kids are on winter break this next week, I decided now was a perfect time to give this a try. Not sure where the week will take us, but we're jumping in!
Today was our first full day of potty training! After breakfast this morning, Shelby chose her Hello Kitty undies to wear. I gave her a big cup of water-down lemonade, one of her favorite drinks, and off we went. It took a while. She had to go but was a little hesitant. Finally, she let herself pee in the big potty. She was relieved, proud, and so excited. We cheered, clapped and swapped high-fives. I quickly handed her a gummy bear for her success. She beamed!
As the day progressed, Shelby really began to catch on. There were a couple puddles on the floor, but all part of the process. After the third or fourth successful potty visit she really connected with the gummy bear reward system. Little one really caught on and started telling me every few minutes she had to pee so she could get a gummy bear! Smart girl! After a while, the gummy hear hype calmed down.
Towards this evening, she was doing really well. Even went to the potty a couple times on her own. She even pulled down her underwear herself and climbed on the potty. We're so proud of her!
She's so cute when going potty too. She starts whispering to you just before she pees. Then, her eyes light up and a huge grin fills her face as she listens to herself peeing. Out of her delight, she whispers, "I peed!" Then, she claps and cheers for herself in her whisper voice! A-dor-able!!
I must add that Levi was a huge encouragement and help today as well. Shelby looks up to him so much. She listens to him with such focus. Levi encouraged her, coached her and celebrated with Shelby throughout the day. I love seeing his heart for her and how much they love each other.
Tomorrow, we'll give it another go. I've restocked the gummy bear jar. Fresh, clean underwear is ready to go! Hoping to build off of today and move forward. I'm trying to stay laid back as possible with very little expectation on time frame. I just want to go at her pace, helping her feel empowered, motivated and loved.


1 comment:
Yay Shelby!!! Seems just like yesterday it was Levi, my how the time flies!!!
Post a Comment