Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Christmas Countdown…

This year, we’re doing several different activities to help us count down the days until Christmas as well as enjoy this special time of year and family traditions.

We’re counting down with books. Over the past two years, I’ve been collecting Christmas books. Plus, we’ve been given some as gifts. I purchased a few more through Levi’s Scholastic book order last month to finish off our bundle. The books are about Christmas, The birth of Jesus, Giving, Winter and character. I wrapped them all up and placed them in a basket on our dining table—safe from curious toddlers hands. Each night, one of the kids selects a book from the basket to open. Then, we snuggle up on the couch by the Christmas tree to read. Its been so much fun and the kids are really enjoy this.
photo(9)
My, what a big beard you have, Santa! Levi, is counting down the days to Christmas by adding a cotton ball to Santa’s beard each day. This is a little project that he can and is doing on his own. Santa’s going to be cute when his beard is complete.
DSC09903
For the past few months I’ve been looking for an advent activity to do with the kids, especially Levi. I was leaning towards The Jesse Tree, but was concerned about it still be too much for the kids to really grasp. Plus, it was going to be at lot of work in pulling everything together, which I just didn’t have the time nor energy to do right now. I really desired something that was all inclusive. Where I could just pick it up and start! Plus, it had to be fun and inviting for the kids. Well, in late November, I struck gold! I ran across the exciting e-book: Truth in the Tinsel, an advent experience for the little hands. It’s written by Amanda White from Impress Your Kids and Oh Amanda. She’s amazing—so creative and passionate. A woman of wisdom and for motherhood. She is inspiring!
cover-230x300
Truth in the Tinsel is an hands on advent experience communicated through cute and simple crafts, short scripture reading and talking points. At first glance, I was sold. Why? For starters, its very organized. Amanda has provided a calendar, a supply list (which is broken down into categories) and templates for the few activities that need one. Just print, gather all your material and your ready! The crafts are simple, being a craft challenged person, that excites me! The scripture reading is short and correspond with the craft helping to impress the word of God into all our lives. It really is perfect and really does help communicate the Christmas story to the little ones.

I’m in the process of pulling our supplies together now. We’re going to do a short version or 12 days of advent once Levi is out of school. This way, we wont be rushed. It will be something different as we continue to count down the days to Jesus’ birthday.

So, if your still looking for something to add a little extra meaning into your holidays. Something fun, age appropriate (written for 3-5 year olds) and hands one for your little toddlers, I’d encourage you to check out Truth in the Tinsel.

No comments: