Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Margarita Day…

Yesterday was one of THOSE days in the land of parenting. One of those days when you feel like you could’ve done better as a parent. One of those days which your happy to see the end too, but only wish you could rewind and do some things different. One of those days, when you try to hold onto grace and not be too hard on yourself. One of those days, that at the end of it all, you need a nice strong margarita and a do-over button. Yep, that was my day yesterday.

When I woke yesterday morning, for some reason, I felt impressed to pray covering and protection over my family. I just had feeling of DSC08331caution. I prayed and moved on. Didn’t really give it much more thought.

From there, our day started rolling like it normally does. Kids up. Breakfast. Poopie diapers. A few morning meltdowns. Send the hubs off to work. Clean kitchen. Throw in a load of laundry. Your typical daily grind. Lunch came and went. Then, we moved on to nap time…the-oh-never-know-what-to-expect-nap-time! Shelby, bless her heart, drifted off to dream land like an angel and was out for 3 solid hours. *cue singing angels*. Levi, rested for a few minutes (about 3) on his little nap mat and then began to play with some tractors and trucks in his room. I’m okay with this as long as he 1-remains quiets and 2-stays in his room. He was doing both. We were happy. This went on for a good 45 minutes. He did come ask me for some puzzles. So, I got those down from the top of his dresser. He took them to the floor and started playing with them. I left the room.

However, I guess there was something more he wanted from the top of the dresser (which is located in his closet). I was in my room when I heard Levi scream and a crashing sound all at the same time. I knew exactly what had happened…I sprinted to his room. Yep..the dresser! He tried to climb the dresser. THANKFULLY, Levi acted quickly and caught his dresser before it fell on him. Yikes! All the drawers had slide out and the books that were on top slide off. I sat drawerinjuryit upright and started to assess the situation. Two of his fingers got closed in the drawers and either a drawer or a book popped him in the face…which left an abrasion, but it never bleed. Shortly after I had picked him up, he lost it. I mean lost it. I think all the adrenaline and shock hit him. I just held him and rocked him and put ice on his fingers. We talked about what happened. After about 30 minutes he fell asleep in our bed.

As of today. He is great. No bruising or black eyes. Nothing else was hurt. His fingers are good too. schoolday

Now, I will also say this. Every since we put the dresser in Levi rooms we’ve been concerned about him climbing it. We’ve talked about anchoring it to the wall several times, just never took action. We’ve always watched him around it and he’s never shown interest in climbing it (unit now). He’s been really good about asking us for help. It will be anchored…climber or no climber.

Oh, but wait. that's not the end of our day. Remember, we’re just getting through naptime.

After the kids were up and fed we headed to Wal-Mart for some basics. I grabbed a buggy, put Shelby's infant carrier on the front of the cart, Levi walked beside the cart and off we went. I took my little grocery list and laid it right at Shelby's cute little naked feet so I could read it as we went along. Picked up a few things. I stopped to read some baby food cereal boxes. Levi is looking at all the cool toddler plates and cups and Ryan calls. (Side note--Normally, if I’m shopping I don't answer my phone. But this was my 1st chance to talk with Ryan since he’d left for work and I wanted to fill him in on our little day). I answered the phone. About 2 minutes into the conversation a lady says, “Mam your baby is choking!” “She’s turning, was turning red!” I was standing by the cart and not in front of the chart. I was still on the phone with Ryan, but walked around and checked on Shelby. She was breathing and GRINNING ear to ear. In her little hand was part of my grocery list…the other part…well, probably in her belly. Yep. She ate my grocery list. I did a finger sweep in her mouth just to make sure—All clear! She was doing fine. All this time I had just kept Ryan on the phone. I thanked the lady and to which she said in a matter-of-fact-way- “You should pay more attention!” as she strolled off. What! Parent Fail #2 for the day. Dang it!

DSC08300

I got off the phone with Ryan. I put Levi in the cart and quickly finished my shopping. The lady’s comment didn't make me mad. Yes, I could’ve been paying more attention and not trying to do so much at once. But honestly, I think the comment shocked me. I wasn’t expecting that. I also, found myself more hurt by her comment than anything else. It was a moment of correction/a warning and I accept that. But it was also a moment that I really need grace too.

In the end, I took day for what it was. I walk away with a couple reminders. Its more important to walk the walk then talk the talk. Take Action! Instead of talking about securing the dresser to the wall, we need to BOLT the dresser to the wall. Action! But more so, as I look at yesterdays little events I’m really thankful for the Lord’s protection. When I woke, I didn't really understand why I was being lead to pray protection over my family, why I felt a sense of caution. But in the end, I see the Lords purpose, the Lord’s protection. I see his Hand active in our lives. I’m so thankful He loves us enough to speak to us, nudge us, whisper to us or at times give us a swift kick in the rear we need. What if I had missed those little nudges yesterday morning. What if I did not ACT upon that prompting…maybe it wouldn't have matter. Bottom line, I'm thankful the Lord loves us enough to speak to us! Thank you Lord for speaking and Keeping watch.

I can’t help but walk away from yesterday thinking about Psalm 91. I really like the way the whole chapter reads. Verse 1 (91:1 or 911) has always been a treasure verse for me. So powerful, but also the key to all of Ps 91. It’s what the promises of chapter 91 are set upon. When we surrender, rest and honor the Lord, He takes care of everything else. (A LOT LOT easier said than done for me…something I still wish to obtain more of…resting/trusting HIM!) But verses 9-11 (911) and verse 14-16 really spoke to me yesterday.

This is how Psalm 91 reads in the Amplified Bible. (I love reading the amplified!)

1HE WHO [a]dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall remain stable and fixed under the shadow of the Almighty [Whose power no foe can withstand].

2I will say of the Lord, He is my Refuge and my Fortress, my God; on Him I lean and rely, and in Him I [confidently] trust!

3For [then] He will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence.

4[Then] He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings shall you trust and find refuge; His truth and His faithfulness are a shield and a buckler.

5You shall not be afraid of the terror of the night, nor of the arrow (the evil plots and slanders of the wicked) that flies by day,

6Nor of the pestilence that stalks in darkness, nor of the destruction and sudden death that surprise and lay waste at noonday.

7A thousand may fall at your side, and ten thousand at your right hand, but it shall not come near you.

8Only a spectator shall you be [yourself inaccessible in the secret place of the Most High] as you witness the reward of the wicked.

9Because you have made the Lord your refuge, and the Most High your dwelling place,(A)

10There shall no evil befall you, nor any plague or calamity come near your tent.

11For He will give His angels [especial] charge over you to accompany and defend and preserve you in all your ways [of obedience and service].

12They shall bear you up on their hands, lest you dash your foot against a stone.(B)

13You shall tread upon the lion and adder; the young lion and the serpent shall you trample underfoot.(C)

14Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore will I deliver him; I will set him on high, because he knows and understands My name [has a personal knowledge of My mercy, love, and kindness--trusts and relies on Me, knowing I will never forsake him, no, never].

15He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him.

16With long life will I satisfy him and show him My salvation.

1 comment:

Liz said...

You are an awesome woman of God. That is great you responded to the Holy Spirit's prompting and prayed. He protected the kids and you from getting angry. I cannot believe what that lady said, I am so sorry. You are a wonderful mother, so loving and caring, and a very giving friend. I pray you feel God smiling down upon you saying, "Well done my good and faithful servant."