Pages

Friday, July 30, 2010

Stretching our dollar…

The return of coupon shopping!!

In the past two weeks, I’ve been able to hit two MEGA coupon deals at Kroger. It’s been a while, a long while since I’ve been able to do this type of shopping. Our little stock pile of basics was nearly depleted. I’ve been using my coupons as we shop, but I have not made a trip to the store just to shop deals since Feb (before Shelby’s was born).

After these two MEGA trips, we’re set for the rest of the year (yes, I mean until December) on our basics—TP, paper towels, laundry soap, dish soap,deodorant, bath soap, cleaning supplies, baby soap, razors, shaving cream, toothbrushes, toothpaste, condiments…The only thing I wasn’t able to stock up on were Kleenex, pasta, and spaghetti sauces.

My first trip to Kroger I saved around 52% on my bill.DSC08155

Yesterday, the sale was on P&G items. Love being able to by brand items we enjoy at super low cost. Makes me happy!! So with my paper coupons and electronic coupons combined I saved 60% off my total bill. AWESEOME!! DSC08214

 

Purée Time: Baby Food in the Making.

We introduced Shelby to solids this month. We started with rice DSC08209cereal. About a week later I started to add the veggies—Peas then carrots. I made most  of Levi’s baby food. I found it fun, cheap, and very easy. So, I pulled out the blender and the ice trays and started pureeing. 

I steamed the vegetable until tender. Then, I use my blender to puree them. I add water until I get the right consistency (I use the water that I steamed with.)  Next, I pour them into ice cube trays for freezing. Once frozen, I pop them out and store them in a zip lock bag. I usually prepare 2 or 3 cubs for a serving.

I can buy a 1 lb bag of frozen vegetables for about $.98. I can usually get 10 meals out of one bag (around $.10 a meal). Store bought baby food is around $1.10 for a pack, which is 2 meals ($.55 a meal). Now, I do keep some store bought baby food on hand which I use when we’re out and about. But other than that, I try to make most of our veggies. So far so good. And Shelby is loving her little peas and carrots!  I plan to add squash and sweet potatoes into the mix next. HPIM3415

No comments: