Since Shelby’s birth on March 3rd our little world has been a bit crazy. Some of the past month’s events were expected, others were not. I thought I’d create a time line to reflect the happenings of March and to help me document our little journey.
March 2nd: My in laws arrive to help take care of Levi during Shelby’s birth!
March 3rd: Shelby’s born @ 8:01am via c-section. Happy Birthday Shelby Girl!
March 5th: Return home with Shelby. Levi has a cold.
March 6th:-8th: Enjoy family time at home. Levi’s cold is not any better, bad cough has developed. Ryan’s folks left.
March 9th: Take Levi to doctor for cold and the start of an ear infection. Shelby begins to show signs of congestion.
March 10th: Take Shelby to Doctor for a 1 week follow-up appointment (she was a little jaundice). Shelby’s sounds stopped up. Doctor examines her and her lungs are clear. Keep an eye on her.
March 11th: Levi is feeling better and cough is not as bad. However, Shelby is more congested. I end up spending the night in her room to keep an eye on her.
March 12th: Aunt Amanda comes to meet Shelby. Ryan’s folks are also visiting. Levi is much better. Shelby’s breathing is a little heavier and now her chest sounds congested. Made afternoon Dr appointment for Shelby. As the day progresses Shelby’s breathing starts changing due to congestion (faster breathing, harder breathing). At the doctor’s office shelby was given a breathing treatment and tested for RSV (Respiratory syncytial virus). It comes up positive. Her oxygen level was a little low too. The decision was made to transport her to Texas Children Hospital for more care and observation, especially with her being just 9 days old. After a 2 hour ambulance ride through rush-hour traffic we arrived at Texas Children. Shelby was given oxygen on the way to the hospital along with another breathing treatment. We were quickly seen in the ER. She was tested again for RSV and had a chest x-ray, both of which confirmed RSV.
March 13th: 12:30am Shelby was admitted to the NICU at Texas Children. I stayed the night with her, Ryan return home to be w/Levi when he woke up. Ryan’s Mom also stayed to help us care for Levi.
March 14th: Shelby’s the same—working to breath, congested and a cough. Responding well to the oxygen. Pretty much have to let RSV run its course. There’s not anything to really fight the virus…they can only treat the symptoms. She had trouble nursing, so I started pumping and feeding her by bottle. Both Ryan and I went home for the evening, leaving Shelby in the hands of all the amazing nurses in the NICU.
March 15th: Started making daily trips to be with Shelby. This allowed us to spend late afternoon/evening with Levi. This was Shelby’s worse day. She was sick. Her chest was very congested and tight sounding when she coughed. Her breathing was more labored with quicker breaths. Breathing treatments were started and given every 8 hours. However, no fever and she continued to eat well…which kept her from needing an I-V. I will also say this was the hardest day for us too. Personally, I felt so torn between my two children. They both needed me and I so desperately wanted to be in two places at once. Plus, I felt so helpless. I couldn’t do anything for little Shelby, but hold her, nurse her and pray for her. I think we both had a hard time seeing her so sick. We just wanted her home. It was extremely hard to leave the hospital this day. I cried most of the way home.
March 16th: Breathing treatments continue. Chest is still very congested. Coughing continues. Still Fever free. She continues to eat well…even gaining weight. Now 8lbs.
March 17th: Shelby looks much better. She is responding to the breathing treatments. The congestion in her chest is breaking up. She is breathing easier. She is making progress, just slowly (RSV has a slow recovery, especially in infants). Still fever free. They did take her off the oxygen at one point today, but she became fatigued, so they placed her back on it. My mom arrives!!
March 18th: Shelby is improving daily. Went 2 hours without oxygen, but was placed back on. Lungs are sound better and she isn’t as congested in the nose either. My mom and I make the trip to visit with Shelby for the day, while Ryan spends time with Levi. There’s possible talk of her coming home tomorrow.
March 19th: As a family we traveled to visit Shelby. We really felt like Levi needed to be with us. When we arrived, we found that she’d been oxygen free for 4 hours and her lungs sounded really good. We waited to see the Dr. After being examined and being oxygen free for 6 hours, our little lamb was given the green light to go home. At 1:00pm, we’re discharged from Texas Children and return home as a family! PRAISE GOD!
March 20th: 3:30am I’m hit with a stomach virus…
March 21st: My mom leaves, Ryan returns to work. I fly solo for the first time—2 kids!
March 22nd: Levi goes to school. I take Shelby for her follow up appointment with the pediatrician. Lungs mostly clear and she’s nursing great. 5:00pm-Levi is hit with the stomach bug…vomiting every few minutes and throughout the night.
March 23rd: Levi is still sick with stomach bug. I’ve isolated Shelby to her room, praying she doesn’t get the bug. I spend the day going back and forth from the couch and Shelby's room. I did 5 loads of laundry! I think I washed the skin off my hands that day too.
March 24th: Levi still sick and now showing signs of dehydration. I was very concerned and wondered if I needed to take him to the ER. Shelby had diarrhea and vomited her first feeding of the day. I call our pediatrician. She prescribes medicine for Levi’s nauseasness. I’m also instructed to give 1 tsp of Pedialyte to Shelby every 15 minutes to keep her hydrated and to give Levi swallows of Pedialyte every 15 to 20 minutes. I had an emotional breakdown halfway through the day. By the end of the day they were both doing much better. Levi was even able to eat and hold down a little food before bed time.
March 25th: Our house is on the mends. My sister, Vicki, (aka aunt Gicki) arrives.
March 26th-28th: We get to experience some since of our new, normal life.
March 29th: Ryan returns to work. At 11:45pm I get a text that say “I’m sick!” Ryan has been hit with the stomach bug while on a trip.
March 30th: My sister leaves (sad!). Ryan spent most his day in Grands Rapid Michigan (where his trip ended for the day) very sick.
March 31st: Ryan returns to Houston. Visits the clinic at work, where they administer an IV for dehydration and meds for the nauseasness. Ryan finally makes it to the house and sleeps the rest of the day.
April 1st: I’m happy to say, that today, we are all WELL and looking forward to a fresh start and new life as a family of 4.
So yes, life has been a little crazy around here! Thankfully, we’re finally starting to figure out our new normal and make up for lost time. Throughout this little journey, I can say that I’ve felt the peace and grace of God like never before. The encouragement of the Lord’s faithfulness and His nearness in a time of need brought great comfort. I love knowing that no matter what life throws at us we are never alone. I know this might sound odd, but I really am grateful for the harder times. For they make us stronger and wiser, but most of all they help us keep life in perspective.
I can’t end this marathon of a post without sending a shout out to our family and friends! I know we could not have made it through these past few weeks if it weren’t for our supportive families. Words can not even express how grateful we are for all our aunties and grandparents! I’ve been so encouraged by my MOPS group. Many of them stepped up in a big way by providing us with meals. We are so grateful for our amazing neighbors who came to love on Levi and make sure we’re taking care. They’re always so thoughtful and caring. Plus, our friends near and far. Thank you for all the emails, phone calls and prayers. We’ve felt so loved and encouraged from so many different directions. THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! We are so blessed!


2 comments:
WHEW!! I'm so glad that is behind you guys and I hope you're enjoying time getting to know each other now while NOT being sick. So proud of you too for doing all you did. You are a very strong woman/mommy/wife!!
Wow, I didn't realize all of that was going on! Anyone would have had an emotional breakdown. You are one amazing momma! Glad it is a new month and everyone is well! Praise God!
Post a Comment