Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Cheesy Bow-Tie Pasta

Last night, was one of those meals I prepared just by using what I had on hand. I wanted to cook something different and easy for the kids. In the end, I created a cheesy bow-tie pasta with ham. The kids LOVED it. Shelby will eat anything (praying that sticks!!). Levi DSC09511is doing much better with branching out and trying new foods. However, he’s still not wild about some foods due to texture—pasta being one of them. At times he’ll eat it and other times he won’t touch it. I never really know until we get ready to eat. Last night was a good night. Not only did Levi love this meal, he asked for seconds thirds!!
So, I thought I’d share this little recipe. Its cheap! It’s easy! Colorful and well rounded! Nothing to fancy about it. Like I said, I just opened the cabinets and fridge and threw some things together. 
Ingredients:
Half a box of bow tie pasta
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1/3 can of milk
3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup of frozen peas
1/2 cup frozen sliced carrots
handful of large cubed ham

Directions:
1-Prepare pasta as instructed on the box and drain.
2-While pasta is cooking, brown cubed ham in a skillet. (I did this because my ham was frozen).
3-Steam peas and carrots. (I had separate bags of these in the freezer. I ended up steaming my carrots separately because I need to finely chop them after they cooked).
4-Empty cream of chicken soup into a small pan. Add 1/3 can of milk, and the cheese. Heat over medium-low, stirring often. If too thick, add a little more milk. Reduce heat to low once cheese is melted.
5-Place cooked cubed ham and carrots in food processor. Pulse a few time until right size is acquired. I did this so Shelby would be able to eat this meal with no problem. You cold omit this step.
6-In a large bowl, mix together the pasta and cheese sauce. Next, add the steam veggies and ham. stir well. Serve!

No comments: