As many of you know I grew up in Panama City, Florida. There are so many great little off beat places to find a great meal. There's Tally-Ho, Gyro Cafe, Jimmy's Diner, and Coram's just to name a few. However, one of my favorite places is tucked away in a little shopping center on 23rd street-- Gwendolyn's Homemade Ice Cream. Don't be mislead by the name. Yes, they serve many wonderful flavors of ice cream and even pies, but there's more to Gwendolyn's than ice cream and pie. If you ask me, the real treasures are found at lunch time! On any day of the week, Gwendolyn's is a busy little place. On the menu you'll find the soups of the day and a variety of croissant sandwiches!
During my college days, my roommate and I would eat there weekly! To this day I still crave their Spinach Tortellini! I would order a bowl of tortellini and a chicken salad sandwich, which came on a fresh flaky buttery croissant. The soup is fresh, rich and filling. The chicken salad sandwich melts in your mouth! So amazing! Add in a large glass of southern sweet tea and its heaven!
When fall/winter roll around I start desiring soups. This always makes me think about Gwendolyn's Tortellini Soup. I've been playing around with a recipe that satisfies my craving. I made a big ole pot of it last week to kick off Fall.
If your in PC and haven't experienced Gwendolyn's, do so. You wont be disappointed. If your visiting PC, Gwendolyn's is a great little family place that is worth checking out.
SPINACH TORTELLINI SOUP
INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
½ teaspoon rosemary
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can (16oz) chick peas-drained and rinsed
1 box (32oz) chicken broth
1 box of frozen spinach
1 cup water
1 can (14 ½ oz) diced tomatoes –undrained
1 package (9oz) Cheese Tortellini
DIRECTIONS:
1-Heat oil over medium heat, add rosemary and garlic. Sautee for 2 or 3 minutes.
2-Add chicken broth and water. Bring to a light boil.
3-Add spinach, peas and pasta. Bring back to a light boil and then reduce to medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes.
4-Add in diced tomatoes, undrained. Cook for another 5 minutes
5-Take 2 cups of soup mixture and puree in a blender.—don’t puree any of the tortellini, pull pasta out if any got in the 2 cups of mixture. Add them back to the soup. Puree and add mixture back to soup.
6-Simmer (low) for 15 or 20 minutes to marry flavors and pasta is cooked.
7-Sever w/ French bread or croissants
** Sometimes I throw in a little Parmesan Cheese ( 1/3 cup or less) in step four.


1 comment:
Looks yummy! I love Gwendolyn's too. My mom and I go there for lunch sometimes. Maybe I'll have to try the Spinach Tortellini soup next time!!
Post a Comment